Friday, November 9, 2007

Spreading Christmas Cheer Betsy-Style

Gist of a phone conversation with my sister, Betsy, as she sits in a bar in Chapel Hill on a particularly bad day for her. For those of you who don't know my sister, she has that wonderful personality trait of having just as much fun by herself as she does with other people and doesn't think twice about doing things that may make other people think she's weird. Culturally or socially acceptable means absolutely nothing to her, and people love her for it. Also, for those of you who don't know her, she is very beautiful and has a magnetic personality and is no stranger at all to guys trying to pick her up on a regular basis, even ones that know she's married. She's so cool.

Betsy: So my day really really sucked.

Me: Really? Why?

Betsy: Well, (goes into a long conversation about how people at her then-job were driving her insane and how ridiculous they were that particular day, and other things that I will not mention here to protect the identities of people involved.)

Me: Oh. Wow, that really sucks, Bets. I'm sorry.

Betsy: Yeah, so now I'm sitting here in this random bar in Carrboro because I really needed to just come and sit by myself and have a drink and smoke a cigarette and recharge, you know?

Me: Yeah.

Pause in the conversation as I hear a guy come up to my sister in the bar and try to pick her up. He says, hey baby, you look -

She doesn't miss a beat. Doesn't turn around, just whips up the hand holding the cigarette so all the guy can see is the back of her head and her hand in his face holding a cigarette, and without batting an eyelash and without her facial expression changing one iota, she immediately interrupts and says:

Nope, sorry. The inn is full.

And goes right on talking to me as though nothing in the world has just happened.

I wish I was that cool.

1 comment:

Leslie Ruth Petree said...

I love my cousins. A lot. And I like to think that I am cooler just by association with the two if you...