Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Inspiration

Okay, so I was all inspired by Cousin Lu's redesigned blog and decided I had to keep up with the times. However, I may have gone just a bit overboard. But then, I tend to do that during basketball season. Everything turns a perplexing shade of light blue and I find myself with a Tourette's-like display of various Tarheel fight songs, cheers, and expletives regarding whatever game is still replaying in my head.

My boyfriend always says that as soon as basketball season rolls around we do this whole Freaky-Friday-Body-Snatchers thing where we have this inexplicable role reversal. I'm on the couch with a cup of herbal tea (read: Corona) watching the game (or having the score texted to my cell phone at two and a half minute intervals if I can't watch it on TV or listen to it on the radio), and I'm wearing all my Heels gear and screaming incoherently at the TV at intervals. I refuse to make any plans whatsoever on the days that I know there are games. He, on the other hand, is now standing around with his arms crossed complaining that I'm not paying any attention to him. And I'm all, after the freaking game, already. Now move. I can't see the shot clock.

See, he's from up north. Way up north. Yep, one 'o them thar Yankees. He's from Massachusetts, but he's lived here in North Carolina since he was eleven. He is now twenty-nine. (and he still thinks if we drive a couple of hours in either direction it'll be something straight out of Deliverance.) He still doesn't get the whole basketball thing down south, because apparently up north they have some weird sport called "hockey". I've tried several times to explain that this is just the way I grew up, that I love basketball anyway and for heaven's sake every member of my family graduated from UNC except for me. And I have a big family.

But he doesn't get it. At all. He actually leaves the house when there's a game on and refuses to watch it with me. Unless Carolina is playing Boston College, and then he watches and cheers for Boston College, just to see me have a myocardial infarction because he is on the brink of death, Deliverance-style, in my house. And he always goes, I don't understand why you southern people who love basketball always say "we" when you're talking about your team. It's not like you're out there playing, right? So, how is it "we"?

He's not a very big sports fan. But that's okay. Because I have enough team spirit for both of us.

So, anyway. Basketball season is here, the season opener was tonight against Davidson, we won. I like my ram on this new page, but I'm not sure about the basketballs. I'll think about it.....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah I have the same problems with my girl over UNC but I am slowly converting her to a fan. She should be lucky that we don't live down there or i wouldn't see/talk to her at all during basketball season